705 Brighton Road, Allegheny West
The Willock House is one of Allegheny West’s few remaining historic mansions from the industrial heyday of Pittsburgh. Mostly vacant and essentially abandoned during the 1970’s and subsequent decades (the house was saved from demolition in 2004 by the steadfast work of Heidi and Joe Lawrence), Q acquired the property in 2014 and is conducting a historically-sensitive comprehensive renovation of the interior and restoration of the exterior as a single family home.
Built in 1891 by B.F. Jones of Jones & Laughlin Steel for his daughter Alice Jones and son-in-law William Willock, the Chatequesque house was designed by William Ross Proctor. Measuring nearly 8,750 square feet (including lower level), the five bedroom house features a turret with curved windows, six fireplaces, a walk-out balcony, and a European-inspired drawing room. The house is being furnished with guidance from Weisshouse in Shadyside.
A three-story Carriage House is on the rear of the property, and is now officially addressed as 712 Rope Way. The 2,840 square foot carriage house sits above the tandem two car garage and features a separate single family (unfurnished) residence. The Carriage House was built after the main house, constructed in 1898.